Tuesday, January 22, 2008

50/50 Right Now

It seems to be all I can think about, should I go or just stay state side. There is a handfull of us that are considering doing it. We all were talking around the fire about it and the platoon sergent cameover, started like yelling at us. "Are you guys stupid, we just did 15 months here and you want to spend another 8 to 10 over here in baghdad." Im a realist, I know im taking a big gamble with my life going over there. I been doing my research the birgade has lost 3 people in the last 3 months, dont know how many injuried, I still do not know if they are going a year long are 15 month long deployment. But I choose the job infantry, I realize the ultimate consquences of doing this, and it doesnt faze me one bit. But the thing that gets me is trying to tell my momma and my grandmother, the two most important people in my life. My little brother told me on the phone that he hears my momma crying some nights, and hears her prying for me. That shit breaks my up. I might be able to handle another 8-10 months over here but can they handle it. I dont want to make this about me, I want to make it about my family and I. I know its my life, most times they know whats best for me. Also my platoon sergent been talking about sending me to the board when I get back, that means ill be a sergent. I know if I go to 4th birgade I will have to prove myself all over again, and I might not get my sergent as quick as I would if I just stay state side.
But on another note the rain is starting to come, its sprinking right now. I feel bad for the gunners right now getting all wet and the cold breeze. When it rains comes the damn mud lol, maybe I should just stay home. But I went to the gym today, I decided I wanted to see were I was in my quest to bench press 300 lbs. Well I throw up 285 lbs, and my partner wanted to go up to 295lbs. So I tried that and got it a quater the way up and just couldnt push any more. So Im saying I stand at 290 lbs, I know I can get that.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh so close!

With the prospects of quicker promotion and your mum crying herself to sleep maybe stateside would be better....and a hell of a lot more safer!

Harley said...

Stateside FTW! Come on Cliff!!!

Seej said...

Do what *YOU* want to do, don't let what your family *might* think sway you. Part of being part of a military family (I'm learning as I go, here!) is that we support our soldiers and their decisions. We would all love to have you anywhere but Iraq, but what we would love even more than that is for you to make your decisions you're happy with.

Make sense? Hope so.

Love ya!

Holly.