Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Be Safe

After coming back from a deployment you expect Soldiers to party hard, you figure we have to make up for time lost. For the past 3 weeks we been getting nothing but safety classes, don't drink and drive basically sums it all up. They drill this in to us, use a DD call someone for a ride. Take a cab to the headquarters there is a taxi fund up there. Its so annoying but recently 1 cavalry division out of fort hood tx redeployed back home and lost 5 Soldiers in the first 75 hours of being home. This upsets me, you survive a combat zone and go home a drink and drive, and that's how all 5 of them died behind the wheel. They decided to consume alcohol and get behind the wheel, of course they crashed at a high rate of speed. My division lost 4 Soldiers when I was in Iraq, when you leave my post there is this sign that says 186 days since are last fatal accident. This is a serious problem and I'm glad that Army is trying to do something about it. I have everyone phone number in the squad, we have a obligation to call one of them up if we ever need a ride, just how I have one to pick them up. Drinking and Driving is a serious topic, you can be careless with your life but there is other people on the road that are doing the right thing. Ill admit I have driven home drunk a few times, but not anymore. All I ask is that you do not Drink and Drive.

6 comments:

Seej said...

Holy crap, I didn't know this was such a huge problem...

Holly.

Laura said...

Neither did I....you never really hear of soldiers and drink driving over here.

You be safe!

travistee said...

What a great post, Cliff. Thanks for illuminating us.

Cliff said...

seej- This is a huge problem

Oestrebunny- We work hard so we like to play hard.

travistee- I could have wrote alot more but my time on the computer is limited.

Harley said...

This should not be hard since I don't drive...

Anyone who's ever seen me play a racing game would probably agree this is a Good Thing.

Mr Pineapples said...

Cliff - this is what I had for tea tonight:

1. Some soup (to start)

2. Aubergines (fried in olive oil)

3. Some mashed potato

4. A sausage (with herbs)

5. A half bottle of Raboso (wine from Veneto (in Italy)

6. Slices of pumpkin

Cliff - it was Great.